Sunday, January 31, 2010

Irene and Grace Debut

Irene and Grace. Hope, simplicity, love, and laughter. Four things I constantly strive for in this complicated little world.

Irene and Grace were two very special people in my life. One I knew well; one I never met. My two grandmothers.

Irene was a World War II war bride from Cardiff, Wales and traveled the Atlantic Ocean to live with my strikingly handsome grandfather in Lebo, KS. She was a grand lass. Her Welsh accent and tender ways are something I love to remember.

Grace was a woman with a great sense of humor, she was a hard worker, and a survivor in the sense of taking things as they came. She married my grandfather during the end of The Great Depression. My mother remembers Grace sitting at the kitchen table, smoking a cigarette, and talking for hours. You could talk with Grace. It's something I never got to do as she died before I was born, but I occasionally find myself consulting her opinion in my thoughts.

I chose the title name "Irene and Grace" because they lived with hope. They lived simply. They loved. And they sure as heck laughed. I'd like to take the time and write about these themes.

I'd like to thank Patricia van Essche of "pve design" for urging me and acting as a mentor in the blogging world!

5 comments:

  1. Welcome, although I feel as if you need no welcome. I know that feeling of wanting to jump in the "blog-pool" and I am so thrilled that with a little push, you took the plunge. I would love to create your header for all your kind comments and silent support. Think of it as a wee life support or a buoy from which to cling to in any kind of storm.
    I shall look forward to your posts and relish in each one.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia - thank you is a very small word in regards to what you have done for me and many others. Thank you for my first comment, and I would be highly honored to have you create a header for me! I can't say my entries will be the best and brightest, but it will be interesting to see where they take me and any readers. My best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,

    I happened to see your comment at PVE and that little voice told me to stopped by and say hi. Congratulations on starting your blog!
    I remember the day I started mine 2 yrs ago, seems like yesterday. I have met some wonderful friends from the circle of blogging.

    I'm off to see if you have a following list to follow. I'll be back to visit.

    Have a golden day!xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily~ Welcome-welcome! PvE encouraged me to start my blog as well. Isn't she something?
    You have such a great start here. Looking forward to seeing more of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for commenting Joyce and Debra! Patricia has been such an inspiration. And I appreciate your encouragement and will be visiting your blogs very soon. Best to you both!

    ReplyDelete